Re: Keybindings for Emacs with no X?

From: Angel de Vicente
Subject: Re: Keybindings for Emacs with no X?
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2012 22:54:46 +0000

Hi,

Silvio Levy <levy@msri.org> writes:

>> > Why not use a GUI based emacs?
>
>> One reason is because logging in over a high latency connection to a
>> server on the other side of the world and trying to throw the X11
>> display back over the very slow global Internet is a test of patience.
>
> I can attest that for remote editing -- even across town in one of the
> most technologically enabled areas of the US -- X emacs is less
> satisfactory than emacs in a text terminal.

In my case, more than a matter of speed is a matter of convenience
(though speed also counts). At work I fire up a gnu screen session, and
inside it I have 5-6 'terminals', all running emacsclients giving me
different aspects of my work (mail, agenda, documentation, programming,
other, etc.). When I go to another office, home, etc. I just connect
through ssh to my workstation, reattach to gnu screen, and I have
*exactly* the same environment I was using at my office. I can do some
work, and next day at my office I'm exactly where I left it at home. For
me this is invaluable... (I have tried doing the same with xpra and
Emacs in X, but then the speed was the problem...).

Cheers,
--
Ángel de Vicente
http://angel-de-vicente.blogspot.com/