help-gnu-music

Re: text questions

From: David Petrou
Subject: Re: text questions
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:01:05 -0400

> > Rune, there are many "reasonable" things I could have tried, and none
> > seemed more likely to work than another.
>
> Whoops, I wasn't attacking you in any way (just scroll half a year
> back and read some of my first postings :-) ) - I was just
> surprised.

Oh, I didn't think you were.  I just wanted to supply the reasoning
behind my lily usage.  I wanted to do this partly to make the case
that I'm not an idiot, and partly to make the case that using lily
effectively requires understanding a lot of the concepts left to the
"internals" part of the documentation.  :)

> > Let me give you another example.  After using your "\consists
> > Instrument_name_engraver" command (works great, thanks), I saw that I
> > needed to shift the instrument name.  To me, it's reasonable to try:
> >
> >   \property PianoStaff.instrument \set #'extra-offset = #'(3 . 3)
>
> I'm a bit in a hurry, bit if you replace instrument with
> InstrumentName, I think it should work.

works great...  by the way, when i wrongly tried "\property
PianoStaff.instrument \set #'extra-offset...", lily didn't give me a
warning although the command had no appreciable effect.  (1.3.148.uu1)

> The easy solution, ofcourse (the one, I use) is to add spaces to the
> end. use "Keyboard " instead of "Keyboard".

i'm actually using a rotated instrument name:

  \property PianoStaff.instrument = "\\rotatebox[origin=c]{90}{Keyboard}"

so, extra spaces wouldn't do much.

> -Rune

thanks,
david