help-gnu-music

Re: text questions

From: David Petrou
Subject: Re: text questions
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 15:48:00 -0400

> > > The easy solution, ofcourse (the one, I use) is to add spaces to the
> > > end. use "Keyboard " instead of "Keyboard".
> >
> > i'm actually using a rotated instrument name:
> >
> >   \property PianoStaff.instrument = "\\rotatebox[origin=c]{90}{Keyboard}"
> >
> > so, extra spaces wouldn't do much.
>
> Try it, it should work. The reason is that Lilypond tries to estimate
> the length of each text, which is almost impossible when you use
> embedded TeX commands. Anyway, if you add zeros at the end of the
> string, you fool Lilypond into thinking that the string is longer and
> should be started further to the left to fit.

my problem was that "Keyboard" was too far to the left.  i tried
"keyboard    " and "    keyboard", and as you expect, both push the
text further to the left.  the command:

  \property PianoStaff.InstrumentName \set #'extra-offset = #'(7 . 0)

works perfectly for my needs.  (20pt fonts, letter-sized paper, 1.0cm
indent.)

>     /Mats

david