help-gnu-music

Re: text questions

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Re: text questions
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 01:15:18 +0200

David Petrou wrote:

> I'd like to move the text on a note around.  Let's say I have
> c^"foo".

>   \property Voice.TextScript \set #'padding = #5

>   \outputproperty #(make-type-checker 'mark-interface)
>   #'extra-offset = #'(-1 . 4)

I find it really surprising that you, after finding the two examples, didn't
think of combining them into

\property Voice.TextScript \set #'extra-offset = #'(-1 . 4)

This works.

> I'd like to get the word "Keyboard" as the instrument on a piano
> staff.  I have a StaffGroup with 3 staves and 1 piano staff.

Well, it is almost silly to explain that to you now. In 1.3.150 the instrument
name engraver will be turned on by default... But until then:

\translator {
  \PianoStaffContext
  \conststs Instrument_name_engraver
}

> I use lily regularly and often spend a _lot_ of time trying to get
> information from the manual because in almost everything I do, I need
> to tweak something, that is, to make a special case adjustment.  If

Try looking at the internal documentation. Just visit the home page and click
on "Documentation of internals" in the left menu.

> be able to figure out 90% of these tweaks on his own.  As it stands
> now, I find many of the answers to what I want to do by grep'ing
> around the input/ directory.

That is also a good approach :)

-Rune