help-gnu-music

Re: Relative vs Absolute

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Relative vs Absolute
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 17:12:50 +0200

> Hello,
>
>  I'm having a little problem...  I'm typsetting mu-
> sic with Lilypond (most of us here, no?), and I am
> not sure, how to use an absolute type of input (si-
> milar to ABC if anyone has used that too), where I
> would have to specify each notes octave each time.
> I think it can be done with the "transpose" functi-
> on, but I'm not sure if that's correct.
>
>  In clear, I'd like to have all notes in this sequ-
> ence :
>
> [c16 d' e' g'] [a c b, b] [d e c a] [b e d c-]
>
>  All the notes  that don't have any marking should
> be of the middle octava (on a piano). Each note th-
> at has ' should be one octave higher (that note on-
> ly), and each note with ',', and octave lower.

This is exactly what you get if you don't use \relative.
Example:

\score{
  c d e f c' d' e' f' c'' d'' e'' f'' c, d, e, f,
}

Since the middle C is specified as c', you may want to transpose
this one or two octaves up to reduce the number of quotes.
Example:

\score{
  \transpose c' {c d e f c' d' e' f' c'' d'' e'' f'' c, d, e, f, }
}

Are you sure that you couldn't find this information in the manual?

   /Mats