Re: Octave from CDROM

From: Lukas Richterek
Subject: Re: Octave from CDROM
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 13:43:14 +0200

Hello,

thanks very much to all for your answers. I must admit, that using virtual
linux machine or booting linux is not very suitable for me. Though I
personally spend most time with Ubuntu, my idea was just to let about 15
people strongly bound to Windows play with Octave for a while at the end of
my seminar on classroom computers (without installing to harddisk).

I tried to copy both octave 2.9.13 and 2.1.73 from Program Files
directories to CD and prepare two .bat files
octave.bat (for 2.9.13):

cd Octave\tools\console\
console.exe

and soctave.bat (for 2.1.73)

cd Octaves
"..\Octaves\bin\run.exe" rxvt.exe --keysym.0xFF50 '^a' --keysym.0xFF57 '^e'
--keysym.0xFFFF '^f^h' -tn linux -title 'GNU Octave 2.1.73' -geometry 80x25
-bg White -fg Black -cr Blue -fn 'FixedSys' -sr -b 5 -e /bin/sh octave.sh

Then I was able to run them (or at least it seemed, that
Octave started from the CD) on the computer, where I burn the CD (with both
Octave's on the HD), but not on another computer with the same version of
Windows XP. I tried to insert the commands via the command-line, but the
result was the same. Are some libraries installed into somewhere into
system directories of should some system variables be (re)defined?
In case of 2.9.13 console failed to open with warning, tat octave tab could
be already running (but in fact it was not according to the Task Manager),
in case of 2.1.73 rxvt just flashed and died.

Thank You very much again for Your time and help.
Sincerely,
Lukas Richterek

--
Department of Experimental Physics