human-beings-discuss

[Human-beings-discuss] trying to move on

From: Guillaume Cottenceau
Subject: [Human-beings-discuss] trying to move on
Date: 08 Oct 2002 19:08:44 +0200

Hi,

I'll try to move on the human beings project. It's ambitious but
maybe it could succeed, after all.

I've re-read the whole mission statements[1] and here are my
changes:

* removals

    You don't destroy enemy batiments, you capture them (with a
    cost of adaptation): more realistic, more interesting.

I think this isn't very well adapted to what I've got in mind,
especially the fact that each race[2] only have a main (capital)
city and a small number of annex cities.

So let's move that to a more classical "you may destroy enemy
batiments".

* adds

    To kill a race, you need to destroy the capital city

I think the end of a StarCraft game when you need to find all the
batiments and all the military units of a race is not very
interesting for both the winner and the defeated, that's why
destroying the capital city is enough.

I don't yet know what's better for "destroy": destroy all
batiments? destroy the whole population? destroy the
palace/mayor's house? WDYT?

To move on, I think I'm going to begin writing down the list of
batiments, units, scientific improvements, and the rules
governing the functioning of a city (in particular the ideas of
efficiency depending on the organization of the city, the
production and levy on the goods, how the population/units is
handled) and then maybe try to begin coding.

I know this will probably be not so good, but I don't know
another method to "move on". I will be able to change many things
if it sucks too much and I/we have more better ideas.

Ref:
[1] http://www.nongnu.org/human-beings/mission_statements.html

[2] "race" is not a good term but it's short to type on the
keyboard and I don't have a very better one

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/