Re: Slime and Emacs Lisp

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Slime and Emacs Lisp
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 18:32:11 +1000

Sébastien Vauban <ewgeocaufsfb@spammotel.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I've just installed Slime and CLisp. Very good choice, I think.
>
> But my ultimate goal would be to try enjoying all the features
> of Slime for debugging Emacs Lisp code I want to maintain...
> but, when compiling my Emacs Lisp code, it reports many errors,
> like:
>
>     o   undefined function NIL
>     o   function INTERACTIVE is not defined
>     o   function USE-LOCAL-MAP is not defined
>     o   MAJOR-MODE is neither declared nor bound
>     o   function RUN-HOOKS is not defined
>     o   ...
>
> And, *not* being an expert at all in both languages, I don't
> know if their differences are so big it's purely impossible to
> do what I want, or if it's still possible to debug Emacs Lisp
> code with Slime/CLisp?

Please note this is not the right group for this question. Try
gnu.emacs.help.

Slime is designed for working with common Lisp, which is a different
beastie to Emacs Lisp. Emacs has a pretty good in-built debugging
capabilities and a much closer integration than you would get with
slime even if you could get slime to work with it.

Slime uses a CL package called SWANK, which is used to handle the
interactions between emacs and common lisp. You don't need this for
emacs lisp as its part of the editor. You can get a similar function
to the slime repl with ielm e.g.

M-x ielm

HTH

Tim