Re: Illegal C++

From: Daniel Johnson
Subject: Re: Illegal C++
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 16:12:40 -0700

Wiz Aus wrote:

>> From: Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>
>> To: Wiz Aus <address@hidden>, lily-devel <address@hidden>
>> Subject: Re: Illegal C++
>> Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 12:17:14 +0200
>>
>> You can build it under cygwin, this is possible but something of a
>> hassle. The result is slower than the mingw build. It's also possible
>> to x-compile to mingw under cygwin. That's a lot of work, since you
>> have to cross-compile all dependent libraries under cygwin too.
>>
> I got my mingw compiling environment installed.
>
> lilypond's configure script is reporting:
>
> ERROR: Please install required programs:  /bin/echo >= 2.2 (installed:
> ) msgfmt mf-nowin mf mfw mfont guile-config >= 1.6.5 (installed:
> 1.6.0) libguile (libguile-dev, guile-devel or guile-dev package). -c
> import sys; sys.stdout.write (%s/include/python%s % (sys.prefix,
> sys.version[:3]))/Python.h (python-devel, python-dev or libpython-dev
> package) mftrace fontforge pkg-config makeinfo >= 4.7 (installed: 4.3)
>

> Now, do I really need to download every single one of those packages
> individually? And are they all available in the right versions for mingw?

You should be able to compile everything except python using mingw.
Python requires some extreme hackery to get going.  There are those who
have managed to compile python using mingw but it required a VERY large
amount of patching to get around the fact that Windows is not Posix
compliant.  Most folks agree that Python for Windows must be compiled
with MSVC... and then you have the fun of trying to get *that* to
interact nicely with mingw.

Believe me, I tried once upon a time...

--Daniel