Re: Even more disconnected

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: Even more disconnected
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 09:20:37 +0200

On Saturday 19 August 2006 19:29, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> Erik Sandberg wrote:
> > On Tuesday 08 August 2006 22:01, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> >
> > Is this the scm_gc_protect in translator.cc (which you already fixed), or
> > is it something unknown?
>
> It's unknown. The symptom is that -ddebug-gc shows that over the course
> of a lot of files, some objects seem to accumulate, in particular Probs
> and Moments.

OK. Will look into it.

(there is a small possibility that the leak is introduced by some temporary
fix because each event is sent both as a music and an event in parallel. I'll
try to verify)

> > (in the former case, I don't understand the error completely: how can the
> > GC protection introduce a memory leak?)
>
> If protect something, but don't have a matching unprotect, then memory
> will never be released.

In this particular case, the objects *were* statical (one object was allocated
for each translator listener declaration). I saw that you softcoded &
improved some parts of it, but I don't see the point (IIRC, the list is only
used once on start-up, to detect typos).

--
Erik