Re: Release text (was Re: Lilypond code/feature freeze for 2.12)

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: Re: Release text (was Re: Lilypond code/feature freeze for 2.12)
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 18:42:12 -0600

On 9/22/08 5:54 PM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 17:07:16 -0600
> "Carl D. Sorensen" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On 9/22/08 4:39 PM, "Trevor Daniels" <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> Here's a version with fret diagrams, Reinhold's
>>> suggestion and a few other tweaks.  Is this
>>> better?
>>>
>> I like it
>
> I don't.  Yes, fret diagrams are very important to guitar players.
> But dodecaphonic accidentals are very important to twelve-tone
> composers.  Harp pedals are very important to harpists.  Arbitrary
> microtonal accidentals are very important to Turkish musicians, as
> well as a vast number of people writing academic compositions.
>
> At least a third of the items in the NEWS are "very important" to
> one particular group of musicians; I really think that we should
> only list items that are "very important" to *everybody* in the
> release notes.

> I really don't want to put down the amazing work you did on the
> transposabl FretBoards...

I don't know that transposable FretBoards qualifies as "amazing work"; it's
just my itch that I was _finally_ able to scratch.  I don't consider your
suggesting something else as the release notes feature a put down.

> but actually, if I were to pick one
> thing from that previous list, I'd go with the arbitrary
> microtonal accidentals.  That opens up the use of lilypond to a
> huge number of extra people; guitarists could still get stuff done
> with 'pond before the new FretBoard stuff.

I'm OK with that.  I'd be fine with microtonal accidentals as a great new
feature to add.  I just think we should have *something* in the release
notes, rather than just saying "lots of unspecified great features".

Thanks,

Carl