Re: CG source code as an archive

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: CG source code as an archive
Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 19:49:12 +0200

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 6:54 PM, Graham Percival
<address@hidden> wrote:
> What the bloody mao have you been smoking, Valentin?

Hi Graham,
nice to see you too :)

> We do *not* want
> info about download a tarball as the first section in CG 2.  In fact,
> we don't want it anywhere in CG 2 at all.  If people are desperate for
> this, it's in CG 3.3.

Actually, I began writing CG doc for regtests, and tried to put myself
in the shoes of an hypothetical contributor who would want to build
the regtests, but without installing git.

(BTW: It would make sense (to me, at least) to put CG3 /before/ CG2.
Building a program from its source code is a common thing for *nix
users, and since we've removed it from AU, it's a pity that this
information is somehow buried in the CG.)

> More generally, we don't need people randomly changing the "finished"
> parts of the CG unless they know the decisions that went into the
> current format.  We've had hours of discussion about CG 1, 2, and 3.
> 3 isn't "finished", but I would still hesitate to make large changes
> to it without consulting other people.

In my mind, this wasn't a "large change". But I do get your point
about people changing things when you don't expect it.

Cheers,
Valentin