Re: does anybody care about LSR?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: does anybody care about LSR?
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 10:45:36 -0600

On 6/28/11 9:48 AM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I was discussing LSR with Phil, and it occurred to me that I
> should raise the question here.  What do we want from LSR?
>
> As far as I'm concerned, no I don't care about LSR; the people who
> wanted it in the first place aren't maintaining it; we haven't had
> a flood of users volunteering to take care of it.  This experiment
> with "user-generated content" hasn't shown a clear net benefit to
> the project, and as more and more people use lilydev and send in
> patches, the need for something like LSR lessens.
>
> I'm suggesting that we just dump the whole thing on Phil.  He can
> choose how picky (or not) to be about explanations, indentation,
> looking for duplicates, etc.
>

> If somebody here *does* care, then speak up.  Please note:
>
> 1. nobody is offering to touch the code behind it.  So don't say
> "hey, it would be great if LSR could automatically xyz" unless you
> think you can program the xyz yourself.
>
> 2. anybody with the source code can do much more efficient work by
> editing stuff in git directly.  The only point of LSR is to
> provide a quick, easy, automated repository for non-git people, so
> whenever somebody with git access touches LSR, it's a net loss for
> the project.

I'm not sure I agree with this.

LSR is a place to put snippets that some people think are useful, without
the filtering of any "expert".  And it seems to have a reasonable search
feature.

But I also think that LSR is a lot of overhead.

So if Phil is willing to take it over, whatever he wants to do is fine with
me.

Thanks,

Carl