Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output

From: Matthias Kilian
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2011 15:40:26 +0200

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 02:59:37PM +0200, Matthias Kilian wrote:
> Wouldn't it be better to either collect both stdout and stderr in
> the same log file or to use three log files .err.log, .out.log and
> .log, where the latter contains the combined streams? Otherwise you are
> loosing the context between the two, which sometimes may be important.

Little bit difficult as it seems, so here's a simple version (without
the combined log). You can invoke it like this:

        lilylog.sh o.log e.log ls -l . dontexist

which is the `verbose' mode (i.e. you still see stdout and stderr, but
both get logged to the given files) or like this:

        lilylog.sh -q o.log e.log ls -l . dontexist

which is the `quiet' mode (output goes only to the files).

If the command given fails (exit code != 0) so does this script.
In addition, it writes (to stderr) the command that failed and the
logfiles.

Ciao,
        Kili

ps: i usually use tabs in my scripts, but as you guys obviously
consider tabs evil, i've run expand(1) on it ;-)