Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output

From: Matthias Kilian
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 14:43:28 +0200

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 11:53:08AM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> >Little bit difficult as it seems, so here's a simple version (without
> >the combined log). You can invoke it like this:
> >
> >lilylog.sh o.log e.log ls -l . dontexist
> >
> >which is the `verbose' mode (i.e. you still see stdout and stderr, but
> >both get logged to the given files) or like this:
> >
> >lilylog.sh -q o.log e.log ls -l . dontexist
> >
> >which is the `quiet' mode (output goes only to the files).
>
> Could you explain for someone with no Unix background what this does,
> please?

Well, it lets you run a command, logging stdout and stderr to the
logfiles given in the first two arguments, and exits with the same
exit code as the cmmand did. Unless you invoke it with -q, you'll
also see stdout and stderr on your screen as usual.

The idea is to tweak the build system to run commands that produce
too much output with this script instead, so you get less output,
and, in case of a failure, get a message which log files too look
at.

Unfortunately, I still didn't get enough time to hack on the build
system itself.

Also, it looks like there are different opinions of wether to split
stdout and stderr into two different log files or not. (personally,
I'd just go with a single file, which would also simplify my script
much).

Ciao,
        Kili