Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: GOP-PROP 5: build system output
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 13:10:05 +0200

Am Sonntag, 10. Juli 2011, 12:50:19 schrieb Phil Holmes:
> [...]

But once they have realized how a changed build system works, I don't see any
disadvantage. So, it's just the first time that they might be confused (if
there is some progress and no error messages, I would think they are not
really confused, but astonished that something is new...).

> By making it as it is by default, but with the ability to
> switch off the output to the screen if you know what you're doing, we avoid
> that problem.

But we don't solve the problem of the log output. I mean, how many people
really **want** the full output from the build system?
Shouldn't the default be tailored to what most users normally want. If they
want something else, then they can do that with command-line options. But I
don't think it's the best idea to for the majority to use a command-line
option to get the output they prefer (or simply live with a sub-optimal
output, because typing the same command-line options over and over again is an
even larger PITA).

Cheesr,
Reinhold
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886