Re: Adds a site search to website and improves doc search(issue4894053)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Adds a site search to website and improves doc search(issue4894053)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 14:11:29 -0700

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 09:32:50PM +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Phil Holmes"
> <address@hidden>
> >----- Original Message ----- From: "Graham Percival"
> ><address@hidden>
> >To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>
>
> >>This is **not** the website.  That's a copy of the "web" manual,
> >>but it's built with a completely different mechanism.
> >
> >AFAICS it's the only version of the web material that looks like
> >the real website - images, css, etc, included.
>
> Thinking about this a little further - part of the problem is that
> make website doesn't do anything like make the website.  It just
> creates the html files.  It really ought to put the images and css
> files in the right place, fix up the links etc.

It does do this!  -- if you have stuff in $HOME/lilypond/media/

> I'm sure this would cause the normal difficulties about getting
> it to work, but a) I don't think doing this would add much to
> the run time of make website and b) it's really what should
> happen.  You agree?

Problem:
- webserver does not have imagemagick
- webserver does not have lilypond
- webserver certainly cannot compile lilypond

Hence the $HOME/lilypond/media/ stuff.

I would like to put those in a separate git repository, so that it
would be easier to create the website (just point a variable at
your version of that other repository, instead of having to
manually create $HOME/lilypond/media/ yourself).  But that step
will be discussed in GOP-PROP 11, which is still 2 weeks off
(depending on how much time I spend on maintenance and build
issues).

In the short-term, I think it would be extremely helpful if you
could create the $HOME/lilypond/media stuff, then create the
website from a blank build tree -- convince yourself that you
can/will get the full website without running make or make doc.