Re: barline problem

From: Dewdman42
Subject: Re: barline problem
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 10:06:54 -0700 (PDT)

Well ,for whatever its worth...  I can produce fine looking PDF's with
another program I use for guitar tablature.  It produces excellent looking
guitar tabs that look as good as anything printed in guitar player
magazine..with even lines, thin lines, thick lines, consistent, no funny
aliasing in fonts or lines ANYWHERE.  They look as good in PDF form as they
do printed out..  Well except for the fact that its 72dpi on the screen
instead of 300dpi in the printer, so you might see a few more jaggies in the
curves, but that is to be expected...and its consistent.

I am going to try to produce some PDF's with Finale and Overture to see if
they are unable to produce a quality PDF.

I can't see any technical limitation of PDF that would prevent lilypond from
being able to also produce a quality PDF..unless the truth is that lilypond
is producing a higher resolution postscript and then relying on acrobat to
try to downsample it to 72 dpi PDF display.  That's what it feels like to
me..that the issues are all about screen resolution vs print resolution and
resulting in mishap.

In the end, what does matter most is the printing, but I hope that the
developers of lilypond will consider that PDF output is mattering more and
more to many of us.  I believe its possible for lilypond to produce better
output in PDF files....unless there is some setting somewhere that needs to
be tweaked for this...I'm inclined to think at this point that lilypond is
not appropriate for PDF generation.

cheers