lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] pbuf pool size / mss size in low memoryenvironmentandro

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] pbuf pool size / mss size in low memoryenvironmentandrouting to slow link
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 11:34:53 +0100

> In summary, this still doesn't affect my earlier comments - the PPP code
> will work fine with pbuf size less than MTU.
>
> The only code that may have problems with pbuf size less than MTU are
> applications or Ethernet drivers which aren't prepared to deal with chains
> of pbufs.

I didn't want to question that. I merely wanted to point out that it might be
more efficient with ppp to have pbufs that can hold a full packet as otherwise
some packets are duplicated (meaning double RAM usage). Of course that doesn't
account for wasted space and the pbufs might only have to be as big as the
maximum internally used messages...

Anyway, you're right taht there is no problem for PPP with pbuf chains.

Simon