Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Xerces library problem

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Xerces library problem
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 14:34:20 +0200

tek <address@hidden> schrieb:
> On 07/14/2010 03:21 PM, tek wrote:
>> Thank you Volker for pointing me in the right direction. As far as I
>> understood it, it does not seem to be a problem in the
>> mingw-cross-env's xerces.mk file, but deeper into the Xerces build.
>>
>> Please confirm, so I can report it to the Xerces maintainers.
[...]
> Here's how I fixed it:
>
> $ cd /opt/mingw
> $ sudo rm /bin/sh && sudo ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh
> $ rm usr/installed/xerces
> $ make xerces
> $ sudo rm /bin/sh && sudo ln -s /bin/dash /bin/sh

Sorry for not stopping you earlier on that. I'm afraid that you
were looking at the wrong direction.

The problem is _not_ that Ubuntu uses Dash as /bin/sh, but that
the build process of Xerces involves some bashisms. So we should
fix Xerces, not Ubuntu.

Note that xerces.mk already contains an attempt to fix that:

    $(SHELL) ./configure \

where $(SHELL) is "bash". However, that approach apparently
doesn't work anymore. But it isn't the best approach anyway,
because ./configure scripts provide an explicit "CONFIG_SHELL=..."
setting:

    ./configure \
        ... \
        CONFIG_SHELL=$(SHELL)

We already do that in gdb.mk, and I just fixed gettext.mk and
xerces.mk to do it that way, too:
http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/rev/b761d575310e

So please restore your /bin/sh to Dash and use our current
development version where xerces.mk is fixed:
http://mingw-cross-env.nongnu.org/#development

Greets,
Volker

--