Re: [Openexr-devel] Missing include - and other questions...

From: Florian Kainz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] Missing include - and other questions...
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 12:41:34 -0800

> btw: I'm very delighted to have found such a flexible and extensible
> open-source tool for handling HDR-images as I need them (along with
> other stuff) in my diploma thesis. Is there already more information
> available for using OpenEXR with dynamic rendering of cubemaps as XXXXX
> has asked ...? Or some general "paper"-stuff about OpenEXR and its
> concepts (like tonemapping etc.) to use for citations?

The latest, not yet officially released version, includes an
"envmap" standard attribute.  If this attribute is present,
the corresponding image file is meant to be interpreted as
a latitude-longitude or as a cube-face environment map.
ImfEnvmap.h contains a few utility functions to help with
properly laying out the environment map.  Also, we will
probably add a sample program that demonstrates generating
the lower-resolution levels of environment mipmaps.

No tone-mapping techniques I know of depend on a particular
image file format.  The only requirement is, of course, that
the input files must be able to represent the image's full
dynamic range.  For various papers about tone mapping, check
the SIGGRAPH proceedings from 1998 to 2003.

Florian