Re: [Openexr-devel] OpenEXR files with nonlinearly encoded RGB

From: Larry Gritz
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] OpenEXR files with nonlinearly encoded RGB
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 14:45:00 -0800

Outstanding, thanks! I was going to send you guys a separate email, but just hadn't quite gotten to it yet.

OIIO already reads these fp16 TIFF files just fine, but the code to enable writing them is currently '#if 0'ed out (instead, it automatically promotes half pixels to float when outputting TIFF). As soon as it's safe, I will re-enable it. Unfortunately, "safe" means not only fixed in Nuke (and other apps where it's broken), but also letting enough time go by for those fixed versions to proliferate to minimize the number of people who will get bitten by the problem any time they do a sequence of image operations that starts with a half exr and ends with TIFF (all other things being equal, it will try to write with the same data type as the input, and then kapow).

-- lg