Re: [Openexr-devel] OpenEXR files with nonlinearly encoded RGB

From: Brendan Bolles
Subject: Re: [Openexr-devel] OpenEXR files with nonlinearly encoded RGB
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 14:27:26 -0800

On Feb 20, 2015, at 12:45 PM, Elle Stone wrote:

> I'm involved with GIMP development as it pertains to ICC profile color
> management. GIMP is primarily used for processing photographic images and for
> creating digital art.

As Lars said, I've been writing EXR files with ICC profiles from After Effects
and Photoshop for some time.  Code for the custom attribute is here:

https://github.com/fnordware/openexrAE/blob/master/src/OpenEXR_iccProfileAttribute.h

My rationale is simple: I can't prevent users from putting non-linear pixels
into an EXR file.  The color information I get from these programs is an ICC
profile, so that's the metadata I store.  (I also do my best to convert the ICC
info to EXR standard attributes like chroaticity.)

Brendan