pan-users

Re: [Off-topic] Re: [Pan-users] Re: Advice on other lists

From: Ron Johnson
Subject: Re: [Off-topic] Re: [Pan-users] Re: Advice on other lists
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 02:59:55 -0500

On 2009-08-26 01:19, Gerald L wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
On 2009-08-25 19:30, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
Yes, but think of it... you're driving along a lonely country road when aliens abduct you and take you up to the mothership. Hu-man," they say, "Emperor Xymatvfg!ohq has sent us to des-troy your dis-gusting plan-et unless you immediately give us the rare 1986 recording of 'Still in Hollywood' from Concrete Blonde's self-titled album."

WTF is Concrete Blonde?

Now I know why you don't understand the need to have it all with you all the time. Your listening moods aren't eclectic enough. You can be satisfied with a few hundred songs by your "favorite artists".

There are those of us who have no "favorite artist". Before portable hard drives I would burn CD's to listen to at work. 10 hours of MP3 music per CD and I'd carry several. A single CD might contain Rachmaninoff, AC/DC, Norah Jones, The Cramps, Mendelssohn, George Jones, Concrete Blonde, Elton John, Donna Summer, Michael Jackson, Britney Spears .....

You get the idea. I don't listen to a specific genre or set of artists. And what I want to listen to at any given moment in the day may change dramatically.

I actually do have eclectic tastes. For R&R, though, it ends around 1984 and for C&W in ~1993, and never got into rap or whiny 90s stuff.

--
Obsession with "preserving cultural heritage" is a racist impediment
to moral, physical and intellectual progress.