Re: [RP] adding some basic mouse support to switch frame

From: Jeremie Courreges-Anglas
Subject: Re: [RP] adding some basic mouse support to switch frame
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 12:35:19 +0100

Julien Pagès <address@hidden> writes:

> Mathieu OTHACEHE writes:
>
>> You should maybe consider rebasing your work on top on xrandr branch. It
>> would make your code cleaner as you would iterate on a screen list instead of
>> a static array of screens.

Yes, the xrandr changes are a bit intrusive and should be merged back in
the master git branch soon(tm).  The idea is to produce a new release
within the next month.  I do not know yet if mouse support would be
a good addition for the next release, we already have lots of changes.

Some points:
- I have heard concerns from users that mouse support didn't match the
  spirit of ratpoison.  I do not think we need to make arbitrary
  restrictions based on this reasoning.  All I would demand is that the
  default behavior isn't changed.
- mouse support would allow me to remove sloppy.c from the ratpoison
  distribution, which is a good thing per se.
- people have proposed implementations before.  May I suggest you take
  a look at what Jeff Abrahamson implemented in
  https://github.com/JeffAbrahamson/ratpoison/commits/master ?
  The configuration bits looked right at the time.

https://github.com/JeffAbrahamson/ratpoison/commit/8d8d325b929252e9d8d4a22b1314b241b06abc8a

>> This way when a user plugs a new screen, the frames on this screen
>> could be directly selected without having to restart ratpoison, how nice
>> :)
>
> Hi Mathieu,
>
> Sure, I can do that :)
>
> I believe what it would really needs is some sort of callback when new
> screens are plugged, to call grab button on the root window of the new
> screen in case the mousefocus policy is equal to click (in order to be
> notified from clicks on this screen).
>
> Is it possible? Or should I just iterate over the list like I do now?

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "callback", but I suggest you try
to avoid over-complicated solutions. :)

Thanks,
--
jca | PGP : 0x1524E7EE / 5135 92C1 AD36 5293 2BDF  DDCC 0DFA 74AE 1524 E7EE