Re: [RP] adding some basic mouse support to switch frame

From: Julien Pagès
Subject: Re: [RP] adding some basic mouse support to switch frame
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 17:17:15 +0100

Jeremie Courreges-Anglas writes:

> Some points:
> - I have heard concerns from users that mouse support didn't match the
>   spirit of ratpoison.  I do not think we need to make arbitrary
>   restrictions based on this reasoning.  All I would demand is that the
>   default behavior isn't changed.
> - mouse support would allow me to remove sloppy.c from the ratpoison
>   distribution, which is a good thing per se.
> - people have proposed implementations before.  May I suggest you take
>   a look at what Jeff Abrahamson implemented in
>   https://github.com/JeffAbrahamson/ratpoison/commits/master ?
>   The configuration bits looked right at the time.
>
> https://github.com/JeffAbrahamson/ratpoison/commit/8d8d325b929252e9d8d4a22b1314b241b06abc8a

Well, I did not intended to change the default behaviour (I mentioned it
in a previous mail) - and looking at what the commits here looks like,
it is basically the same idea I had.

Minor difference is that the option name I propose is mousefocuspolicy,
and can take two values for now, "none" (default, and no mouse support),
and "click" to support selecting frames on mouse click. (which I believe
is the other difference from the links, I chose to let the mouse select
frames, not windows).

I can change the option name or other things. Anyway, if adding basic
mouse support is not desired, I won't complain, and I will be happy with
the current state of ratpoison! :) Note that I asked on the mailing list
before coding something though, and had only a (one) positive feedback,
so I thought it was ok.

> I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "callback", but I suggest you try
> to avoid over-complicated solutions. :)

That was not my intention :) I wrote the last patch with exactly this
intention in mind.

Hum, I am not sure what to do now :) I you are still interested in the
feature and that it needs to be rebased/reworked, please send me a line!

Cheers,

--
~Julien