Re: [RP] adding some basic mouse support to switch frame

From: Spiros Bousbouras
Subject: Re: [RP] adding some basic mouse support to switch frame
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2017 05:58:01 -0800 (PST)

On Thursday 2017-02-02 Jeremie Courreges-Anglas wrote :
> Yes, the xrandr changes are a bit intrusive and should be merged back in
> the master git branch soon(tm).  The idea is to produce a new release
> within the next month.  I do not know yet if mouse support would be
> a good addition for the next release, we already have lots of changes.

As long as the changes are backwards compatible I don't think there's anything
wrong with many of them. On the contrary it improves the image of the project
if it can be seen that it gets lots of extra features (as long as they work
correctly of course). It also encourages people to submit patches.

> Some points:
> - I have heard concerns from users that mouse support didn't match the
>   spirit of ratpoison.  I do not think we need to make arbitrary
>   restrictions based on this reasoning.  All I would demand is that the
>   default behavior isn't changed.

My feelings exactly.

> - mouse support would allow me to remove sloppy.c from the ratpoison
>   distribution, which is a good thing per se.

What if some people depend on it ? Perhaps it would be better if it became
"deprecated". This would mean that in the next release the man page will warn
people of this fact and inform them that the functionality has now become
part of  ratpoison  itself. And then in some late release , sloppy.c  can be
ratpoisoned !

--
Spiros Bousbouras