Re: [Savannah-hackers] Savannah situation

From: Rudy Gevaert
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Savannah situation
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 07:59:34 -0500

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 06:26:56PM -0500, Bradley M. Kuhn wrote:

> Have you seen Paul's post?

Yes

> Have you had a chance to log into the system
> (Paul restored most of the SSH keys today -- should have been done a long
> time ago, sorry.  If yours isn't there for some reason, let us know on the
> #savannah channel in the morning (EST) and we'll get it up!

Paul, could you mail me when you installed my key?

> > When the Savannah is installed again, users will have have to reregister
> > again.  What with projects?  Will they have to be imported again?  Or
> > will we put the the projects that replied already back ourselves?
>
> Certainly, we need people to register again because we need to be sure
> that we have a good SSHv2 key for them.  (Most users were using SSHv1
> keys before, and even those who had SSHv2 keys installed, we'd certainly
> like them to think twice about their personal security).

I see two ways of handeling user accounts:

* the users have to reregister => you have the problem users will
  likely take each other login names.
  An advantage is you get a cleaning of the logins
* we keep the excisting users and remove all there keys and reset
  their passwords.  They can use the lost password option then.
  After a couple of months you can then check for the users who
  haven't set a new passs or keys and remove them to clean the
  database.

> As for projects, I don't know of any particular reason we'd have to
> reregister each one.  What do you all (the savannah hackers) think is the
> best?  How would you (the savannah hackers) like to handle it?

I think when choosing the second option for the users we can keep the
projects that way.

But what will you do with the projects that havent mailed us that
there code OK is?

> One thing we will need to do is reimport some RCS files into the CVS
> trees, as some folks have been working independently on their RCS files
> while savannah was down.  IIRC, you all do this by hand, right?  Any
> ideas on how we can make the process smooth?

I can only think of doing it manually.

Web page                    http://www.webworm.org
GNU/Linux for schools       http://www.nongnu.org/glms
Savannah hacker             http://savannah.gnu.org