Re: Probing string variables

From: Ken Cline
Subject: Re: Probing string variables
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 17:05:27 -0400 (EDT)

Use a char *.  With an object, eg String object, the probe
doesn't have a way to get the value and will probably show
the class type of the object instead, eg String_c.  I think
this is true for any non base data type.  Is that right,
folks?

If you want a String object then you could probe a char *
and assign it the value the String object contains (getC
method).

Or, you could probe the "string" variable for the String
class.  But the ProbeMap for an object, foo, can only
contain var probes of foo's instance variables, AFAIK. So,
you couldn't create a probe display for your modelswarm that
contains a var probe for the "string" ivar in the String
class.

I've recently hacked the VarProbeWidget so that it will
probe one variable for multiple objects and, when I have a
chance, I was going to change the ProbeDisplay to take
multiple variables and multiple objects (ala spreadsheet).
Realize though, to do this I have to circumvent the
probe display manager, probe library, and probe map objects.

Sorry for the long answer to a short question...

On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, Phil Knight wrote:

> I'm probably missing something really obvious, but here goes anyway...
>
> I've got a string variable in my modelswarm (could be String object or
> *char - I don't really care) which I want to use to specify the name of
> a file containing initialisation parameters. How do I create a probe for
> it so that its value (i.e. the string itself) appears in the probe map
> for my modelswarm?
>
> Thanks in advance
> --
> Phil Knight

Ken Cline                             address@hidden
SAIC                                 VOICE (410) 571-0413
Annapolis, MD                          FAX (301) 261-8427