Re: ordering events in a swarm ....

From: William S. Shu
Subject: Re: ordering events in a swarm ....
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:48:33 +0100

>XH> The problem I raised may be put in the following way: After some
>XH> existing objects' actions have been activated and run in an object
>XH> 'schedule' of class Schedule, can any new object (they may be born
>XH> at random times even after 'schedule'!) generate actions and put
>XH> then in 'schedule' using: [schedule at: t createActionTo:
>XH> newObject message: M(anAction)]?
>
>My advice is not to use `newObject', but to use a method,
>-ensureTarget, that returns the object to be used in the future.
>Putting this information in a method should help clarify to the reader
>that the future target object is not something predetermined in your
system,
>and it will help focus your mind on describing to yourself (or to us)
>how and why you come to want `newObject'.

Please clarify.  Are you saying that one should do something like:
            [schedule at: t createActionTo:
                            [someObject ensureTarget] message: M(anAction)];

I may be missing something, but I do not see how this guarantees all
previous schedules remain in place,while adding a new one.

I followed this thread with interest, as I would *eventually* have to
dynamically and randomly schedule and remove activities (behaviours)
associated with new and old objects alike, over possibly finite time steps.
I am not so sure now if I grasped it!

Thanks

William.