overhead

From: Ginger Booth
Subject: overhead
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 12:48:39 -0400

> It depends what you mean by overhead.  With 2.0, on Windows or Unix,
> the stripped heatbugs executable is about 25k, and it links in about
> three seconds.  As for the overhead associated with installation, I
> think that's a problem for installer programs.

Mostly I meant Swarm-side prereq overhead:
    - keeping the prereq versions matching, testing new versions and fixing
incompatibilities
    - maintaining/developing installers and lead times associated
    - documentation on the stuff
    - CDROM business

Though binary sizes are certainly an issue.

Of course, installers ain't gonna make it run over the web or make programs
portable cross-platform via copy-file. Before you say, "But that's no work at
all!" too quickly, I'd like to point out that the easier it is for one's peers
to peer into one's model, the more likely one is to attract feedback, influence,
collaborators, money.... It really does matter.

The tradeoffs, of course, are to be, er, traded off....

Ciao,
    Ginger