Comments and questions

From: An
Subject: Comments and questions
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:25:11 -0500

Right indeed, you should definitely get the latest snapshot releases,
rather than 2.1.1, but on the development snapshot page:

 http://www.swarm.org/release-swarm-snapshot.html

(1) Swarm on-line FAQ by Paul Johnson (question 3.1) suggested another site for downloading the Swarm Windows version: ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/binaries/w32/latest, where the zipped files are much fewer than the above website. What is the difference? BTW, I use a Windows XP OS.

(2) In addition, when I was trying to unzip the zipped file "Swarm-2.2-pretest-2.tar.gz" from ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/binaries/w32/latest, the unzipping process failed after 5 minutes, and the computer went cracked--I got a warning message, "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL,...***STOP: 0X0000000A (0XC0000000, 0X00000002, 0X00000000,0X804FA688) Beginning dump of physical memory, physical memory dump comlete, ...". What is wrong?

(3) What should I do with gcrt0.o and libgmon.a in the website ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/binaries/ w32/latest? Cannot unzip it--the computer (Windows XP) does not know their format and gives out a number of optional formats (notepad, excel, etc.) to open it.

(4) Is tar (or untar) a UNIX term? What does it mean?

Regards,

Li An

there are links to Paul Johnson's RPMs for these snapshot releases for
Red Hat Linux 7.2 and 7.3 (under GNU/Linux binaries).  Currently we
are providing binaries for snapshot releases as well as the stable
release, just for not as many platforms as for the stable release.

If you did not notice these, perhaps we should make them more
prominent.

A.
--
  Alex Lancaster           |