Re: Comments and questions

From: An
Subject: Re: Comments and questions
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 15:37:14 -0500

Thanks. Still have the following questions attached below. For easier identification, I used bold font for my questions.

(1) Swarm on-line FAQ by Paul Johnson (question 3.1) suggested another site for downloading the Swarm Windows version: ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/binaries/w32/latest, where the zipped files are much fewer than the above website. What is the difference?

the "testing" directory is the source code. You can build Swarm from source for yourself with that

the "w32/latest" directory is binary "prebuilt" versions for windows.

(a) Should I unzip or untar everything in the "testing" directory  into a local folder (say, C:\Swarm)? There are three sub-folders under "testing," i.e., OSF5-Tru64, old, and COM--how to deal with them?

(2) In addition, when I was trying to unzip the zipped file "Swarm-2.2-pretest-2.tar.gz" from ftp://ftp.swarm.org/pub/swarm/binaries/w32/latest, the unzipping process failed after 5 minutes, and the computer went cracked--I got a warning message, "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent  damage to your computer. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL,...***STOP: 0X0000000A (0XC0000000, 0X00000002, 0X00000000,0X804FA688) Beginning dump of physical memory, physical memory dump comlete, ...". What is wrong?

Looks like a windows XP problem.  This error happens inside a cygwin shell?  I would not trust any windows tool to do your unzipping and untarring.

(b) Are you suggesting to do unzipping and untarring in cygwin shell?

Thanks,

Li An