[Adonthell-general] Maps and Annotation

From: Andrew Phillips
Subject: [Adonthell-general] Maps and Annotation
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 14:43:24 -0500

I've been thinking, very preliminarily, about the problem of maps and annotation. Kai has already pointed out that annotating maps would require either a mouse, or some other kind of pointer, and a keyboard if the user wants to label each user-defined point.

I'm unsure whether I should be thinking from the use cases into the internal behaviors, or from internal behaviors and from there to how the user might interface with the map. I'll proceed from the internals outward.

At a basic level, and I apologize for stating the obvious to anyone who's already figured this out, a map that can be annotated consists of :
a) an image of the area to be mapped
b) labels
and
c) coordinates at which the labels are "attached" to the image, where each label has one co-ordinate

As I envision it, the annotations would not appear on the map. Instead, they would function like tool-tips to points of interest which do appear on the map.

On the other hand, this would seem to suggest or require the creation of another editor. And on the gripping hand, I'm not exactly we've decided we want fully annotated maps in DB.

Thoughts?

Andrew