brad

Re: [Brad] Help:Setting up a radiance system--brad

From: Rob Guglielmetti
Subject: Re: [Brad] Help:Setting up a radiance system--brad
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 11:11:13 -0600

This may or may not help you, but I've attached a shell script I wrote called ltview. This takes a luminaire.rad file that was created with the ies2rad utility and loads in a box with one side removed, increases the -ds parameter (so the light pattern is better defined) and sets up a view looking into the box along the y axis, in rvu. It's just a handy little way to spot check that your ies2rad went smoothly. I have used this to uncover errors in the ies files before.

The -bs switch controls the size of the box; the default is 24, because I used to work in inches in my previous life. That would give me a 4' square box. So to use this with a luminaire file that you converted in meters, set -bs to .61 or so, for a box that would just contain a 4' fixture. You can of course make the box any size you want, but I usually make it tight to the fixture so that I can see the beam accurately.

I'm not using Brad at the moment so I can't give specific advice with those issues, but I thought I'd offer my utility as a useful spot checker.
- Rob Guglielmetti