cardinal-dev

Re: [Cardinal-dev] (Fwd from perl6-internals) I'm baaa-ack :)

From: Phil Tomson
Subject: Re: [Cardinal-dev] (Fwd from perl6-internals) I'm baaa-ack :)
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 08:47:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Dan Sugalski wrote:

> At 11:03 PM -0700 8/11/02, Phil Tomson wrote:
> >On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Jeff wrote:
> >
> >>  Some of you may notice the new CVS commit in languages/ruby.
> >>
> >>  This is -not- a fait accompli', but a nearly complete grammar for ruby.
> >>  I removed the left-recursion in the expression nonterminal ('arg'), but
> >>  not the last few places. It's using the publicly available descripton in
> >>  the Ruby documentation (Appendix A, 'Pseudo-BNF grammar',) so it should
> >>  be reasonably unencumbered by licensing issues.
> >
> >What licensing issues?  The current Ruby implementation is covered by GPL
> >and an artistic-like license which allows a great amount of freedom.  It's
> >open source.
>
> Right, but the licenses aren't identical, and it's rude to grab
> people's work and relicense it without their permission. :)

True.  I guess I don't understand quite what you're doing, then.  See my
question at the end.

> Point's moot, though, as Matz is fine with it.

Cool.  I wouldn't think he'd have a problem.
> >  >
> >>  Within the Yacc/ directory, however, will be the original parse.y file
> >>  from ruby's source. This one actually passes the left-recursive test
> >>  completely, but is probably going to offer many more problems than the
> >>  pseudogrammar offered in the top level.
> >>
> >>  Until we have permission to use the official parse.y-derived grammar,
> >>  let's hold off on using it. Feel free to play with it, and if you can
> >>  make it completely work, feel free, but don't commit quite yet.
> >
> >Why do you need permission?  You can use the yacc files that come with
> >Ruby without needing to get any permission.
>
> We weren't sure and, while it's not a problem as we've found, we'd
> much rather be cautious with what we do with other people's work.
> Better to do that and find there was no reason than to really annoy
> someone.
Right-o.

So, can you give me more details about what you're doing?

I think I missed something...

Seems like on the Perl6 dev side that you guys are working on a Ruby
frontend using Ruby's current lex/yacc and using it to generate Parrot
code.  How can we in Cardinal help?

BTW: I won't be working after next week, so I'll have time again to put
into Parrot.

Phil