cardinal-dev

Re: [Cardinal-dev] (Fwd from perl6-internals) I'm baaa-ack :)

From: Dan Sugalski
Subject: Re: [Cardinal-dev] (Fwd from perl6-internals) I'm baaa-ack :)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 02:42:39 -0400

At 8:47 AM -0700 8/12/02, Phil Tomson wrote:
On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Dan Sugalski wrote:

 > At 11:03 PM -0700 8/11/02, Phil Tomson wrote:
 > >On Mon, 12 Aug 2002, Jeff wrote:
 > >>  Within the Yacc/ directory, however, will be the original parse.y file
 > >>  from ruby's source. This one actually passes the left-recursive test
 >>  completely, but is probably going to offer many more problems than the
 >>  pseudogrammar offered in the top level.
 >>
 >>  Until we have permission to use the official parse.y-derived grammar,
 >>  let's hold off on using it. Feel free to play with it, and if you can
 >>  make it completely work, feel free, but don't commit quite yet.
 >
 >Why do you need permission?  You can use the yacc files that come with
 >Ruby without needing to get any permission.

 We weren't sure and, while it's not a problem as we've found, we'd
 much rather be cautious with what we do with other people's work.
 Better to do that and find there was no reason than to really annoy
 someone.
Right-o.

So, can you give me more details about what you're doing?

What we've done is taken the Ruby grammar and created a set of recursive-descent rules for perl's Parse::RecDescent module, which means we can now parse ruby. Since the rules are all

I think I missed something...

Seems like on the Perl6 dev side that you guys are working on a Ruby
frontend using Ruby's current lex/yacc and using it to generate Parrot
code.  How can we in Cardinal help?

We've got the grammar parser, what we need is something to take that grammar and turn it into either parrot bytecode or something that IMCC can eat to produce bytecode. (Checking that the grammar is right would probably be good too :)

We need a quick survey of Parrot to see what facilities it *doesn't* have that Ruby needs, so we can get those done.

There's probably more, and I could always use a cookie, but I think that'll do for now.

BTW: I won't be working after next week, so I'll have time again to put
into Parrot.

Well, that sucks. And is good, depending on your perspective. :)
--
                                        Dan

address@hidden                         have teddy bears and even
                                      teddy bears get drunk