Re: About the transceiver and sending packets to / from a hardware

From: Bastian Bloessl
Subject: Re: About the transceiver and sending packets to / from a hardware
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 19:03:16 +0100

Hi,

you're right, the RIME stack is a network stack. But it is completely
optional. You can just disable the block if you don't need it. It was
just convenient to setup connections with Contiki running on a TelosB node.

If you use something different than Contiki (i.e., a node w/o RIME)
frames will not pop out of the RIME ports. But you will see all frames
that are received by the SDR in the Wireshark trace. It logs everything
that is received, independent from PAN ID, etc.

If you use other nodes, as Marcus said:
- check that they use the same PHY (O-QPSK in 2.4GHz)
- check that they use the same channel
- To RX with a custom node: implement a firmware that shows all frames
(independent from MAC, PAN ID, etc.)
- To RX frames w/ GNU Radio, you don't have to do anything special as
every received frame will show up in GR.

Some nodes with PCB antennas are not that great. If you have problems
receiving them with GR, try to (1) increase TX gain, (2) get it closer
to the SDR, (3) increase RX gain of the SDR.

Hope it helps,
Basti

--
Dr. Bastian Bloessl