Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)

From: Helge Hess
Subject: Re: GNUstep Window Manager (was RE: Idea)
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 14:07:14 +0100

Hi,

I just tried the latest snapshot (core + examples).

Maybe these are the mentioned X problems, but it's at least unusable
with Exceed on NT as the X11 server. Eg the menu doesn't work at all
(goes away when clicking on it, flickers, ...) In Calculator.app the
window-close button doesn't work.

In Edit.app I get a textarea which is about 200 pixels wide, but
everything is wrapped at about 80 pixels - some input vanishes, some
input wraps. Additionally the textfield has two cursors ...

In Finger.app this happens when clicking the stop-button (bug in
gstep-base NSTask ?):
---snip---
Jan 08 12:54:16 Finger[1556] waitpid 1559, result -1, error No child
processes
---snap---

nsbrowser.app looks fine, though it isn't smooth at all (dual-PIII with
512MB memory ..)

Unfortunatly I can't try TextEdit in usr-apps since I can't open a
document because the menu is broken. Also it doesn't open documents
passed on the cmdline.

Further, if no DISPLAY variable is set, any GS UI program segfaults.

As Philippe already mentioned, all the samples are absolutly trivial.
There is no single, real application available as an example.
What would you suggest as such an example. Does it make sense to try
Gorm or is it too unstable by itself to be used as a real example ?

Helge

ps: the ftp link on 'http://www.gnustep.org/resources/sources.html'
contains three '///' slashes, someone (Adam) should fix that.