Re: What backend should be the default now on -nix?

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: What backend should be the default now on -nix?
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 12:45:37 +0100

Le 27 oct. 04, à 11:31, MJ Ray a écrit :

Nicolas Roard <nicolas@roard.com> wrote:
Le 26 oct. 04, =E0 22:10, MJ Ray a =E9crit :
I'd rather not go through the pain of trying to configure backart's =20=
fonts.
er.. there is *nothing* to configure !
you just need to install the fonts, that's all.

That is not my experience. I managed to get it working on one system here, but never the other. How to get it working seemed to depend on the version
of X, the version of freetype, the version of GNUstep-Back, which fonts
were installed and the phase of the moon.

Frankly, the last time I had a problem was months ago (or even a year ?) ... and it was
a problem with the freetype version, something that's now resolved.

When it didn't work, it made
the system so unusable with a corrupted display that I had to quit out
to a text console. No useful errors in .xsession-errors most of the time.

corrupted display ????

back-xlib just installed and worked on both, which is why it should
be the default.  Although it's not working very well between the two
systems yet, that's still better than back-art.

bah, I could say the same thing here. Backart just installed and worked everywhere
I used it since a year. Even on MacOSX..

My fault for not keeping good logs to debug this, but the core needs to
be a very easy installation and back-art isn't.

If there is still some problems with backart, we need to correct them, that's all.
Backart is functionnaly better.

Please read the wiki page...

Stop writing that, please. I have many times. I even read it out aloud
backwards to see if there was some hidden message I missed.

Well, in your last mail you were saying something about difficulties to install the *fonts*.
Hence my remark about the wiki followed by the url.

--
Nicolas Roard
 -Arthur C. Clarke