Re: The need for an official GNUstep desktop

From: Chris Vetter
Subject: Re: The need for an official GNUstep desktop
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 23:56:42 +0200

On 2006-08-27 22:35:37 +0200 Nicolas Roard <nicolas.roard@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
In fact... I'm starting more and more to think that GNUstep, instead
of trying to be a jack of all trades -- I mean, it's a programming
toolkit, no, a development environment with RAD, no, a web application
server, no, a desktop with a filemanager... etc. -- should "split"
into its sub projects ("technically" not, perhaps, but "publically"
yes).
[...]

I am aware that I do not have much say in this issue, but nevertheless I think Nicolas is absolutely right here.

As Greg points out, GNUstep CAN be both, but as Saso indicates, GNUstep is first and foremost a development framework.

However, the above has some merit -- why not 'split' GNUstep in two _official_ parts (and I think that is what Greg had in mind)
a) GNUstep Core -- the development framework, as it is right now
b) GNUstep Desktop -- well, the desktop itself.

The advantage would be that man-power can be pooled. So instead of several people trying to re-invent the wheel, they will focus on ONE (hopefully) perfect desktop, instead of several, and instead of trying to figure out work-arounds, fixes will float back into GNUstep-Core.

Another advantage, as already pointed out by Greg, would be _coordination_ which currently IS missing with the development of Etoile and GWorkspace (sorry to say that). Not to mention the ones that never meet the light of day err are released into the public due to lack of man-power...

Plus, since it would be an official desktop, the source could (or should) be located in the same SVN as GNUstep (Core), so it will be much easier to get to it. Right now, you will have to KNOW where to get GNUstep, Etoile, etc. Having a complete development and desktop environment downloadable from ONE location, would be a tremendous advantage.

Just my .02c

--
Chris