Re: How to localize keyEquivalent="q"?

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: How to localize keyEquivalent="q"?
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 10:36:02 +0100

On 24 Jun 2010, at 10:29, Paul Chany wrote:

So far every localization works: Window objects, GSPrint to xterm but in
the menuItem the keyEquivalent="q" don't work.

<menuItem title="Quit" keyEquivalent="q" action="terminate:" />

I have in Menu-GNUstep.strings file following:
"Window" = "Ablak";
"Quit" = "Kilép";
"q" = "k";

Everything is compiled in to Window.app Resources but still don't works
the "q" = "k" or "q" = "i" translations? Why?

Renaissance doesn't translate the keyEquivalents. Some attributes are marked as localizable,
others aren't.  keyEquivalents is not marked as localizable.

Maybe that's wrong - I'm not sure. Do people change the keyEquivalents from one language to the other ? My feeling/experience was that keyboard shortcut are usually the same across languages. But maybe that's the case more because of limitations of the systems/ software as opposed to being
a conscious decision ?

I guess it could be made configurable in Renaissance. We could have a keyEquivalent, which is not translated, and a localizableKeyEquivalent, which is. You'd normally specify only one of these in your XML, so depending on which one you use, you'd get to decide if you want your key equivalent to be
translated or not. ;-)

Anyway, comments or suggestions very welcome :-)

Thanks!