Re: Savannah bug tracker disabled?

From: Jordan Schidlowsky
Subject: Re: Savannah bug tracker disabled?
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2019 12:14:37 -0600

> On Nov 5, 2019, at 3:17 AM, David Chisnall <gnustep@theravensnest.org> wrote:
>
>> On 04/11/2019 18:36, Jordan Schidlowsky wrote:
>> If people are really concerned about the bug/issue tracking being tied to
>> github's platform, then just do in-repository tracking.  Pretty simple.  If
>> you wanna take advantage of the GitHub platform for pull requests and issue
>> tracking then do it.  If you are concerned about ANY part of the project
>> being tied to a service/hosting provider then just add some process to track
>> those things in-repository as well...     (include the wiki and the website
>> as well?)
>> https://github.com/MichaelMure/git-bug  (GPL BTW)
>
> I like the idea behind this.  It's sad that GitHub issue trackers are not git
> repos (GitHub wikis are, and it's a great feature).  This looks as if it
> imposes quite a high level of friction on the bug filing process though: how
> much effort is it for someone who is not already a GNUstep developer to file
> a bug with it, assuming that they already have a GitHub account?  From a
> cursory glance they need to:
>
> 1. Install git-bug.
> 2. Fork the repo.
> 3. Push a bug using `git bug`
> 4. Send a pull request.
>
> This seems even more effort than creating an account on Savannah and vastly
> more than clicking on the 'new issue' button in the GitHub UI.
>
> David

I would propose to use git-bug as an in-repository tracker for the actual
issues managed through github...   Git-bug can automatically import and sync
bugs, issues and timelines from github as github exposes that via graphql.
Then at least there’s a flexible backup/history of bugs & issues if GitHub goes
away or if there’s a need to migrate to something else.