Re: [DotGNU]Some thoughts about DotGNU

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Some thoughts about DotGNU
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 10:24:19 +1000

Peter Minten wrote:

> * What libs do we use for the following:
>         - 3D animation

There is an OpenGL binding for C# already:

http://csgl.sourceforge.net/

Someone needs to download it and check for Portable.NET
compatibility issues - which will mainly be in the area
of PInvoke support.  (You're too busy Gopal, so let someone
else have a go :-) ).

> * CSant needs more documentation if we plan on using it instead of make.

I agree.  I'll see what I can put together.

> * Should we develop something like a C# flex/bison system?

The Mono project is already using jay, a C# version of bison.
There may be a flex system out there too.  Flex is less
important as most languages can be lexed with a hand-written
recogniser if necessary.  And Treecc is already capable of
generating C# code.  That completes the compiler toolchain.

> * I've been doing some thinking about how to improve our marketshare. MS
> uses Rotor to target the universities at the moment, I believe we should
> do the same.

I agree.  I've made some approaches to unis in Australia,
but the ones that are interested in .NET have already been
sown up by MS.  We might have more luck elsewhere, but it
depends upon contacts.