[DotGNU]texinfo book! (was Re: DotGNU -- The Book ?)

From: S11001001
Subject: [DotGNU]texinfo book! (was Re: DotGNU -- The Book ?)
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 18:09:49 -0500

Gopal V wrote:
I would suggest the use of LaTeX for the book , which would simplify a
lot of things for a lot of people ... (like people extracting sample code out of .pdf files ;-). But plain text submissions can be accepted as
it would be simpler for newbies.....

I would strongly counter-suggest Texinfo. It is simpler than LaTeX, with more intuitive syntax, and what's more, it's the GNU standard. i.e. what if I want to build a HTML manual? latex2html output isn't so wonderful. Plus all the usual reasons Texinfo is good. (BTW, all you have to do is an @alias example codesample, and there's your extraction marks ;)

"Getting Started with Programming for Portable.NET" -- assumes that you know how to use pnet (maybe a summary chap), then goes over ALL the info to create nice GNU-style packaged programs.

--
Stephen Compall
DotGNU `Contributor' -- http://www.dotgnu.org

Free Software is all about dignity. This dignity is what makes the
whole thing different.  It changes the relationship from subservient
user and all-powerful creator (even if you're a developer) to an
egalitarian relationship.
        -- Barry Fitzgerald