Re: Bug 130397

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Bug 130397
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 23:27:54 +0200

Agustin Martin <address@hidden> writes:
> *Ken*, since you are being cc'ed I vaguely remembered some info I somewhere
> read about this misalignements. I finally found it,
>
>  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2002-09/msg01007.html

The bug reported on this URL occurs only in Emacs 21.3, not in Emacs CVS.
It seems something was fixed already.

However, with a strange coincidence I got the same error in Emacs CVS just
today for the first time.  So I can describe how this bug can be reproduced
in Emacs CVS: when the first part of a word was copied from an external
application and got encoded in the buffer in mule-unicode-0100-24ff,
and the second part of the word typed with an input method and gets encoded
in cyrillic-iso8859-5, then calling ispell-buffer on a buffer with the word
composed with different encodings with `russian' dictionary signals the
error "Ispell misalignment".

And while on this topic, I want to remind that many Emacs users suffer
from the inability of ispell.el to simultaneously check mixed multi-language
texts.  So, whoever fixes ispell.el, please take that into account.
Such combining is quite easily doable for any disjoint alphabets, as well
as for alphabets where one alphabet is a superset of another, like e.g.
English and some other Latin-based alphabets.  Even for overlapping
alphabets it would be possible with using the `w' syntax to get a word
and to feed it to different ispell instances for each dictionary.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/