Re: recording-elisp.el - try recording commands as elisp code

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: recording-elisp.el - try recording commands as elisp code
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 00:28:22 +0200

> Slightly off-topic, but this got me wondering if it would be useful
> with a command similar to `checkdoc', something that would scan
> through the code for various "mistakes", suggesting changes. For
> example suggesting `replace-string' to be replaced by the loop
> discussed earlier. Does something like this already exist? I would
> imagine this would be useful to beginning elispers.

The byte-compiler already warns about using some interactive functions
from the list `byte-compile-interactive-only-functions' that includes
`replace-string' and `replace-regexp'.

Another task would be to write a converter that will fix existing Lisp
code that uses interactive functions and replace them with non-interactive
constructions.  Maybe some part of record-lisp.el will do this.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/