Re: quotation marks [was Re: TUTORIAL.de updated]

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: quotation marks [was Re: TUTORIAL.de updated]
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 14:17:32 -0800

On 01/20/2012 01:24 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-08/msg00445.html
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-08/msg00447.html
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-08/msg00451.html
>   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-08/msg00518.html

Those messages are about using ASCII-only email, or having Emacs not
unexpectedly insert Unicode characters into an ASCII-only document,
or things of that sort, things that are about Emacs users in general.
Those are all valid issues, but they don't contradict the basic point
that it's becoming less important to cater to ASCII-only development
environments.

We routinely place more requirements on Emacs developers than on Emacs users,
and in particular we assume that Emacs developers can routinely view and
otherwise deal with non-ASCII characters when they need to.  This is not
an assumption we could have made 30 years ago, but it's a safe assumption
today.