Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Repla

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with consolidating widen calls
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2017 23:53:01 +0200

On 12/10/17 10:39 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Forget all the messages.  Forget the politics.  There are only 2
questions that need to be answered: Can you modify your branch such
that it doesn't remove prog-indentation-context, doesn't replace
prog-widen with widen, and leaves prog-first-column as a function?

You seem to be asking to "modify your branch to a nil changeset".

I repeat: the branch does not "replace prog-widen with widen". It removes prog-widen, and all but one of its invocations, entirely.

prog-first-column a function, sure. But it has to be backed by some data. prog-indentation-context, remaining purely for its first element? We can do that, if you'd insist, though I hardly see the point from either perspective.

So, yes and no, I'm not sure how to keep prog-indentation-context around in a meaningful way (without changing it incompatibly).

And if so, can the resulting changeset allow reasonable MMM-style
multi-mode support in Emacs?

Having said the above, not sure how to respond here.

If the answer to both questions is YES, then we have a clear way
forward, and can stop talking.

I think you have asked these questions before, and I answered them, too.