Re: [ELPA] Package proposal: relint (ex-trawl)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [ELPA] Package proposal: relint (ex-trawl)
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 16:49:06 +0200

> From: Mattias Engdegård <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 15:17:26 +0100
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> > If you want it on ELPA, why make a target for it in Emacs?  Why not
> > tell in the package's docs how to use it to lint Emacs regular
> > expressions?
>
> I was asked to integrate it with 'make check', but I'm sure make
> somethingelse would do just as well.
> It was also suggested to me that I put it on ELPA, so why not make everyone
> happy.

My point was that I don't think we should have in our Makefiles
targets that require tools which are neither expected to be installed
on many systems nor come with the Emacs repository.  If people must
install add-on packages, then the glue to use those packages vis-a-vis
Emacs is better kept as part of the package.  E.g., you could have a
small Makefile in the package with a lint-emacs-regexps target.